Monday, November 21, 2011

I Am Thankful....for Sophie



What I love most about Sophie is her strong sense of self.  She is confident in being her own person and doing her own thing.  And she is endlessly creative.  This combination can lead to some pretty unusual and amusing circumstances at times.  She is at such a great age, where so much of the knowledge that she's been accumulating throughout her life is starting to come together and click for her.  And whatever piece she might be missing in the knowledge department, she more than makes up for with enthusiasm and creativity.

Sophie is the peacemaker....ok, not always, but most of the time.  And she is more introspective than most children her age.  This is a double edged sword for her:  she generally thinks things through pretty well before making a decision (which is unusual for an 11 year old), but it also means that she can be pretty hard on herself sometimes, even when it's not warranted.  I am thankful for all the ways that she has grown this year.  She has grown almost a full 2 inches this year....she is becoming more and more accomplished on the flute...volleyball has clicked for her....she is learning perseverance through her running club....she is improving on her rollerblades and her bike....and even has a passing interest in her unicycle every once in awhile.  Yes, I said unicycle.  I told you she was unique.

I am thankful for Sophie's peacemaker's heart.
I am thankful for her creativity.
I am thankful for her ability to make people laugh.
I am also thankful that she senses when people are hurting.
I am thankful that she is learning to try new experiences.
I am thankful that she is learning to meet new people.
I am thankful for her great math skills.
I am thankful for her pragmatic view of the world.
I am thankful that she eats vegetables without complaining, even though she doesn't like them.
I am thankful that she can pack her own lunchbox.
I am thankful that Sophie always tries to do the right thing.
I am thankful that she is truly an amazing gift to our family, and I am so grateful that I have the priveledge of loving her and taking care of her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that Sophie is a great role model for the Marshall kiddos. Can't wait to meet her too~

Laurie